Friday, April 1, 2011

Running, running, running, SQUIRREL, running, running, running...

Yesterday I ran 4.3 miles at an average of 10:59 pace.  I will  call that successful since my goal was 4 at 11:30.  I ran with Phil on a running path at a park nearby.  It was really nice to  be in some nature instead of having to look out for cars all the time.  Although, a squirrel was really close to me at one point and I was very tempted to chase it.  I refrained, but barely...

I have one more workout to reach my goal this week, but I really don't feel like driving to the gym.  I think I'm going to do my last weight lifting session at home instead.  After all, we do own weights, a weight bench, an exercise ball, tension bands...wait, why do we pay for a gym?!?  Oh yeah, because it's waaay to easy to sit on my butt here instead.

Now I would like to do some comparisons between country running and city running.  Just a few things I've noticed since I've started running here.

Country Running
  • Dirt roads are waaay easier on your knees than pavement
  • No stop lights or crosswalks
  • No sidewalks
  • Few cars
  • Few people
  • More animals
  • Smell of manure in the air
  • Shade from trees
City Running
  • More potholes and puddles
  • Many fellow runners/walkers
  • Scary people at bus stops
  • Smell of fried food and cooking meat in the air (mmm!)
  • Parks with set running trails
  • More small dogs barking constantly
  • Greater need to ice my knees when I'm done
  • Many more paths to take
So, there you have it.  Just a few differences, good and bad, about country and city running.  Both have their pros and cons, I guess I'll just run wherever life takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment